Saturday, March 27, 2010

Introducing the second-best* radio station on the planet

*(…because Rock 92 will always be the best-ever.)

This year on spring break I went with a group of students on a work trip to build most of a house in Jean Lafitte, La., an experience that would need probably dozens of blog posts to process entirely. But a few minutes ago I made the mistake of listening to a Hannah Montana song, and, needing an instant antidote, I turned to WCDV-FM out of Baton Rouge, which reminded me that I feel the need to tell everyone I know about a truly awesome radio station.

Every day on the way to and from our work site, we listened to this station. Why is it awesome? Because it’s the only radio station I’ve ever heard of that’s completely devoted to the music of Generation X – all those one-hit wonders you loved in middle and high school. They played “Mr. Jones” – seriously – every time we tuned in, along with some C&C Music Factory, a little Destiny’s Child and some much needed Pras (prompting me to download “Ghetto Supastar” as soon as I got home.)

Since my dad doesn’t acknowledge that any music happened after he graduated from high school, I grew up listening to Oldies 93 and the soundtrack from “The Big Chill.” I don’t knock that… but it’s nice to see my generation get some FM love.

No comments: