Friday, June 18, 2010

There’s no price tag for this

So here’s this guy. This guy, who apparently got paid actual money to write a web column about his urge to buy VIP tix to a Jonas Brothers concert for his family (including two pre-teen children) for $1,200 each – or, $4,800 total – just kinda because. Because one of their 9-year-old-friends had them. Because his own uncool parents never did anything like this. Because, dammit, they deserve them, because!

Fortunately, he didn’t spend the equivalent of several months’ salary on the VIP tickets, or on the $500/head consolation version. Honestly, I could care less what this writer does with his money. It’s just kind of disturbing to me that a prominent media outlet – and, judging by Salon.com editor Joan Walsh’s appearances on national TV programs, they are indeed prominent – could publish a story whose appeal hinges on the ability of their reading audience to connect to the central dilemma: don’t my kids *deserve* extravagant spending?

I don’t get this. But… You know what? I might never get it. I was raised by parents who made me clean out the basement and wash cars to earn money to buy my first CD player. It was made very clear to me growing up that, if I wanted something, I should work to earn it.

I try really hard not to judge other peoples’ parenting choices, ‘cause it’s really none of my business… But seriously? I went to one concert before puberty* – New Kids on the Block at Groves Stadium, circa 1990 – which I barely remember. I DO, however, remember very clearly the trips my family took when I was growing up, the service projects with my Girl Scout troop and church youth groups, and just the countless evening when my family and I had dinner, played cards and simply talked.

So – no judgment here – but, parents? The most important things you do for your children won’t have a price tag. I promise.

*Technically, my mom and older sister went to a Johnny Cash concert at UT when she was pregant with me, but I don't feel this should count.

8 comments:

Jimmy said...

are you SURE you're a Demmycrat?

guys like this are the kings of "i didn't earn it, i don't even need it, but you better gimme because i think i deserve it!!"

is he on welfare?

禎峰 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
salemstudent said...

Just for the record, you were at the Johnny Cash concert. You were two. But we all earned our free admission to the show by participating in a Revolutionary reenactment that was part of the Knoxville World's Fair. You were so cute in your costume that a local news crew cameraman got down on his knees to film you napping.

SaraLaffs17 said...

Thanks for that visual, Mom. And Jimmy, there's a HUGE difference in universal rights to, say, health care, and one idiot parent feeling guilty if he doesn't get his kid $1,200 concert tickets to see a band they'll hate five years from now.

Since we're making this political... The consumption=happiness/greed is good mentality is something you see among supporters of one party far more than the other, and I think you can guess which is which.

Jimmy said...

First explain to me how Health Care became a RIGHT. Last time i checked it was Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. Life. Not, extended life for all you freeloading hypochondriacs. That's what we, or at least i'm against. It isn't that i don't want people living healthy, it's that i live in the real world and in the real world when something becomes free.... people USE IT. they use the hell out of it whether they need it or not and they don't care who pays for it just as long as it isn't THEM.

This wasn't consumption = greed. This was "i spoke passionately of something that would make everyone happy happy joy joy and when it turned out to be too expensive I didn't just quietly accept it, I made a demon out of the person exercising fiscal responsibility and cursed capitalism. Which party is THAT? hint: rhymes with mem-a-flat.

SaraLaffs17 said...

Oh, for crying out loud. This post is not about fiduciary trust or public contracts or the various things our country has collectively decided are beneficial to society (or about your perpetual confusion on these topics). This post isn't about public or government action AT ALL. It's about my PERSONAL reaction to another writer's lifestyle piece, which in turn was about his PERSONAL dilemma over what to buy his kids. No one's drafting legislation banning the Jonas Brothers. It's a free country. You're free to spend a month's salary on concert tickets for your pre-teen, and I'm free to make fun of you. Your obsession with public safety nets is a topic for another post.

Jimmy said...

Hey i'm just responding to your last comment. i'm not deliberately taking this post off-topic.

SaraLaffs17 said...

Really? Go back and read the very first sentence in your very firt comment. You're injecting politics into a post that has jack to do with it.