Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Who knew Darrell Waltrip worked for the Iredell County Sheriff's Department?

So here I am waiting for the "Dancing With the Stars" finale results, worrying that my cable's going to blink out for a third time tonight because of the weather, and feeling like a complete jerk because I'm even thinking about missing a frakking TV show when there are people losing their homes, or worse, to tornadoes in the Midwest as I write this...

... and then I read that Kyle Busch was cited this afternoon for driving 128 in a 45 m.p.h. zone just a few counties southwest of here.

And I feel like slightly less of a jerk. Because, while most of us are guilty of speeding in Iredell County at one point or another (it's just so full of nice, rolling hills, and also a giant speed-trap), going that fast is criminal. Literally. The last time I checked, anything faster than 25 m.p.h. means you automatically get your license revoked. If a driver does hurt someone going that fast, he or she could face criminal charges.

Kyle got a citation for reckless driving.

I realize that Busch drives a lot faster than 128 m.p.h. for a living, but he usually does so on a closed course with other highly experienced professional drivers. Not a country road where someone's grandmother or 16-year-old could be pulling out in front of him.

This is not about my distaste for Busch as a NASCAR driver. He should be ashamed of himself, and so should whatever law enforcement officer let him go.*

*Hopefully, as more is reported about this in the coming days, the situation won't turn out to be quite as egregious as it does now.

No comments: