Monday, February 27, 2012

Mitt goes racing and hilarity ensues

Me again. Still at Daytona. Since Juan Pablo Montoya accidentally set the track on fire, I thought I'd bring up another Daytona-related story instead.

GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney apparently visited Daytona on Sunday when the race was supposed to run. A reporter asked Romney if he followed NASCAR, and he responded: "Not as closely as some of the most ardent fans. But I have some great friends who are NASCAR team owners."

Bless his heart. No, really. Just the other day, trying to relate to voters in Michigan, he mentioned that his wife owns several Cadillacs, and that he drives both a Ford AND a Chevy. (Of course he does. He probably drinks Coke AND Pepsi, roots for Dan AND Dave, and assures us that it's both live AND Memorex.)

The thing is, Romney is way, ridiculously more wealthy than most Americans. And there's not a thing wrong with that. Being rich doesn't make him a bad person or a potentially bad president, any more than growing up poor or middle class automatically makes one a better person or leader.

I don't need my president to be exactly like me. I just need him or her to be able to listen to and respect people with different points of view.

If Romney wants to appeal to voters, trying to pretend he's just like them isn't the way to go - because he's not. I genuinely hope he figures that out, because I don't think I can handle a 50-50 chance of a Santorum presidency.

No comments: