Friday, March 29, 2013

Five minutes writing about green


Backstory: at my last Jaycees meeting, we spent some time prepping for an upcoming essay competition against Jaycees all over the state (and then the country, and then… world, I guess?). Anyway, to whet our appetite and encourage us to enter, our president gave us a prompt that we’ve have about five minutes to write about. Our topic: what is your favorite color, and why?

I get “you think too much” from a lot of people in my life, and they’re right. But one consequence of spending way too much time thinking through pretty much everything in my life is that, when someone asks me what I think about X, I can usually tell them. At length. With sources.

I could get on my soapbox about the disparity of reaction when people see, say, a 13-year-old softball phenom who pitches 200 balls a day (“Wow, she’s so dedicated!) vs. an adult who reads a lot (“Nerd.”). But that’s for another time.

Anyway, here’s what I wrote. Paper, pen, five minutes, what’s your favorite color and why? Go:


The Chilean poet Pablo Neruda once wrote [You can groan, it’s okay. I groaned a little myself. I had five minutes, what do you want?] that green was the “color of hope.” I wish I could say that I picked green as my favorite color because of this quote… but the truth is that a few years ago I decided that it just looked good on me. Maybe it’s my eyes, I don’t know.

I love green in all its many shades. Forest, emerald, Kelly (which are TOTALLY not the same, by the way), lime, celery. Green can be sophisticated or funky, refined or “street.” My 14-year-old nephew would remind me that green is also the color worn by our favorite driver, Dale Earnhardt Jr., which makes it even more awesome.

But it’s more than aesthetic. Which brings me back to Pablo Neruda. He wrote in green ink because, as I said, it was the “color of hope.” I think looking at green just made him happy. I had a dream once where I got married wearing green shoes. In my dream, they were pretty – but mostly, looking at them just made me happy.


So, if I could find a job where I got paid to write about random things for five minutes at a time, I’d be a bazillionaire.

No comments: