Saturday, November 15, 2008

On Prop 8

Nov. 4, 2008 was an interesting day in American history. Yes, we elected a moderate-progressive with an improbable backstory (who happens to be black), which came as a relief to me and many other Americans. At the same time, a majority of voters in California - that supposedly reliable progressive state - were voting to strip tens of thousands of citizens of their civil rights.

I've heard a number of explanations for the passage of Proposition 8, which defines marriage as being only between one man and one woman, ranging from confusion about what a "yes" vote meant to supposed homophobia among the large number of African Americans who came out to vote for Barack Obama. Since Prop 8's passage, proponents of same-sex marriage have, well - not to put too fine a point on it - gone apeshit. I don't blame them. If my state's government put my very right to live my life up for a popular vote, I'd be pissed, too.

To say the last week and a half has been contentious is putting it mildly. Protestors have targeted the voters who supported Prop 8, particularly the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, who pumped millions into advertising in favor of Prop 8. They've publicly mulled boycotts of companies who donated money to the pro-Prop 8 effort, and even the entire state of Utah, where the Mormon Church is based. And now the targetees are pushing back, accusing the protestors of bigotry.

So let's make sure we're clear: however many people California requires to sign a petition to get an initiative on a ballot felt that it was appropriate to ask the public whether gay people deserve the same civil protections and privileges that come along with marriage as straight people do. Tens of millions of dollars were spent trying to persuade people that the answer was no. Then 52 percent of Californian voters decided that gay people were, in fact, second-class citizens. The people whose rights were just stripped away take exception to this, and say so........And they're the bigots?

Ok, first of all - no. Nobody's boycotting people who gave money to John McCain. Nobody's witch-hunting people who disagree with them politically, like, I dunno, the Bush Administration's been doing for much of the last eight years. Nobody's calling them terrorist sympathizers, as the vice president and several members of Congress did me and others who opposed the Iraq war. Nobody's going all Joe McCarthy on people who privately oppose same-sex marriage.

The First Amendment guarantees that Americans can speak freely, support causes and associate with like-minded others without fear of reprisal from the state. It does not guarantee that you can openly support discrimination against other citizens without having to deal with the consequences, such as a boycott by the citizens against whom you want to discriminate. If I don't hire you because I don't like how you voted, you have every right to sue my pants off. If I'm marching in front of your temple, on the other hand - welcome to America. Hope you like the view.

And while we're on the subject, let me introduce you to my other best Constitutional friend, the equal protection clause. That means that the laws, and protections under those laws, apply to this person (or couple) over here the same as they do for this person (or couple) over there. If you want that to not be so, then you'd better give me a better reason than "I think what Person B does in the privacy of his or her bedroom is icky."

I'm sick and tired of people asking me why I, an openly straight woman, emphatically support the right of gay couples to marry. Shouldn't it be the other way around? Shouldn't the people who want to flout the intent of the law be required to explain to me why I should go along with them?

I've never heard a single convincing argument as to why same-sex marriage shouldn't be allowed. You're welcome to try, but you'll probably fail. You see, I love this country, and I love its laws. I curl up at night with a copy of the Bill of Rights in one hand and The Federalist in the other, with the Gettysburg Address embroidered on my pillow for good measure. And I'm a devout Christian - I'd give my life for the man who told his followers that their highest calling is to treat others the way they would want to be treated. I can't imagine ever - ever - twisting the laws of the noblest experiment in the world's history to enforce a distorted interpretation of the teachings on which I try to base my life.

The Prop 8 supporters who are being so extraordinarily called out this week made a choice to involve themselves in the political process (and in my opinion chose the wrong side). They can't hide from that choice now.

2 comments:

libhom said...

The Mormon Church is borrowing a rhetorical ploy from the Ku Klux Klan. They are saying that it is "bigoted" to fight back against bigotry.

SaraLaffs17 said...

Yes, and I hope people see through it. And I have to say, it's pretty disapointing to see so many Mormons - who've been discriminated against themselves - actively support discrimination against others.