Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A response from FO

Last night I e-mailed Football Outsiders to ask why the post with an off-topic comment about the Ben Roethlisberger lawsuit had disappeared. I wrote that I was disappointed to think that this site whose writers I respect so much could pull a sneaky trick like that, and I really, really wanted to think better of them. This afternoon I got a response:

Sara,
Thanks for your e-mail.
You might not believe me when I tell you this, but the deleting of the thread had absolutely nothing to do with the comment. I'm pretty sure the thread you're talking about regarded Chad Ochocinco at a Lakers game. It was posted by Doug Farrar, who was told by a reader that the story was old. As a result, he deleted the XP. It had absolutely nothing to do with the Roethlisberger comment, which we wouldn't have deleted.

As for linking the Roethlisberger story as an XP, our policy has been to link stories that directly affect what happens on the field. For example, with the Donte' Stallworth case, I believe that we didn'tlink the initial story, but instead the story of Stallworth's suspension. (There are exceptions to this, like the Steve McNair story.)
...

I really do feel better, I honestly do. I genuinely appreciate the honest response, which is far more than you'd get from most Web sites (you see now why I love these guys?). Alright, FO, I'm sorry I called you chickensh*t yesterday. Thanks for the explanation.

No comments: