Saturday, January 16, 2010

"Sahara"

(The good one, not the sucky Matthew McConaughey one.)

Erik Nelson gives a shout-out to the 1943 Humphrey Bogart film "Sahara," imagining it in a double bill with "The Hurt Locker." It made me smile because I never hear "Sahara" talked about, ever, in discussions of great WWII films. It doesn't help that Bogart starred in a little film called "Casablanca" just a year earlier.

I first saw "Sahara" about seven years ago, when the guy I was dating at the time took me to have dinner with his godfather. He was kind of a scary guy (the godfather, not the BF), who made us sandwiches of scrambled eggs on bread rolls and took us down into his "office" to show off his (loaded) hand gun. But, on the plus side, he owned more movies on VHS than my local video store, and had pretty good taste. "Sahara" was good enough to make me forget that I was watching it in a threadbare house up in BFE with egg sandwiches and a loaded gun, on the very night that my Panthers won a big game against the NY Giants en route to their one and only Super Bowl.

So, it's a good movie and you should watch it, is all I'm saying.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.