Tuesday, November 16, 2010

You have a low opinion of what drives me crazy

All-you-can-eat buffets. Double negatives. Improper subject/verb agreement. Lazy tackling. These are things that irritate, bother and trouble me, even raise my blood pressure.

A woman (who happens to be the daughter of a conservative political figure) advancing in a TV popularity contest? Not so much.

As I wrote back when I watched my very first episode of "Dancing With the Stars," I hope Bristol Palin has a great time. People her age need a chance to get away from home for a little while and figure out who they are, even if just for a few weeks. And she's doing well, too - great legs, for one thing, and she's doing moves that aren't easy for someone with zero experience performing. I'm a card-carrying liberal and I wish Bristol all the best on "DWTS."

I think it's kind of weird that someone would assume I wouldn't. Every single person I know who's involved with politics and government (mostly liberals, but a few conservatives) is too busy organizing precincts, planning GOTV drives and figuring out a plan for the next election. Not fretting over who wins "DWTS." Who gives a shit?

Frankly, people who have literally hours to waste creating fake e-mail addresses and voting in a TV competition, and then bragging about that on a Web forum, aren't people who are going to have a large role to play in policy development anyway. Yawn.

No comments: