Friday, January 11, 2008

Chris Matthews is a big fat idiot

Okay, I took way too much time off over the holidays, thanks to computer trauma (I don't want to go into it...) and my annual New Year's cold (which I can't seem to shake). I'm still not up for a full-blown rant, but I just couldn't pass this up.

I generally avoid MSNBC's Chris Matthews, as I do the rest of his ilk, because the screaming heads don't really add anything to our political or societal discourse. It's possible that Matthews's various comments this week about Senator Hillary Clinton may reflect the attitudes of many opposed to her candidacy. It's within the realm of plausibility that this over-fed, under-sunned desk jockey (who perpetually sounds as if he has my cold) might have blundered his way to the pulse of the zeitgeist.

I prefer my pet theory - he's a big fat idiot.

Let's see, according to Matthews, he's never going to underestimate Clinton again. (Wise move - she's pretty fierce.) That is until the next day, when he says that she only got elected because her husband "messed around." Note: Matthews wasn't captured spouting this condescending crap on a hidden cell phone camera in a bar or a dressing room. He said it right out loud on national television.

Dude, when
Bill frickin' O'Reilly says you've gone too far, you might want to re-examine things. Tom Brokaw had to slap Matthews down this week, too. Media Matters has a nice collection of Matthews' other anti-Clinton statements made along the way. Clearly he has an issue with this one particular woman, and maybe even with powerful women in general.

Maybe this rankles a bit more than it otherwise might because of this week's emerging media narrative that Clinton only won the New Hampshire primary because women felt sorry for the way the press (like Matthews) had been hammering her. I can see how a few votes might be swayed by something like that. I mean, my grandmother voted twice for Clinton/Gore because she thought they were cute. Some people do vote based on the candidates' personailties, perceived or actual.

But most of us vote on the issues. I guess it's just inconceivable for the Matthews-led MSM to think that some of us li'l wimmin-folk have brains after all.

For the record, I think it's just as sexist to vote for a candidate because of her gender as it is to not vote for her for that reason. Not all women politicians are good for women, you know. Witness the current 5th-NC election between Satan Incarnate, a.k.a. The Evil Troll, a.k.a. Virginia Foxx, and Coach Roy Carter. No secret who I'm supporting there, and anatomy has nothing to do with it.

Unless you're Chris Matthews. What a tool.

No comments: