Friday, February 5, 2010

Wait, this is BS

Dan Savage has a post about a D.C.-area school that distributed fliers for an anti-gay group, "and the schools say they cannot prevent the use of their distribution system by such groups."

No, sorry. The college where I used to work would sometimes contact our local school system about distributing literature through schools - stuff like information about summer programs and Kindermusik classes we were offering. Even with this pretty innocuous material that was of actual interest to parents of elementary and middle school parents, we had to jump through so many hoops. We had to submit samples to the school system's office and get approval for specific grades, and everything had to have a giant disclaimer on it. Which make since, because publc schools should be picky about people using them to market to a fairly captive audience.

That's why I call BS on this school system's claim that they have no say in who distributes material through their own mechanism (delivering report cards). So, what, I could drive up to Potomac and drop off a few thousand fliers promoting my personal opinions, and they would be powerless to stop me? 'Cause that would be pretty sweet way to market my No More "I'm a PC and Windows 7 was My Idea" Commercials movement.

No comments: