Friday, February 19, 2010

"We're not here for boys."

Ugh.



In this video, produced for Tucker Carlson's Daily Caller, a number of young women attending CPAC (a leading conservative conference which this year attracted Dick Cheney, Tim Pawlenty and Ron Paul) talk about why they're there. Some are representing their College Republican chapters, some are there on behalf of conservative writers and candidates and one is a publicist planning events designed to appeal to younger attendees.

But all the video-maker seems to care about is these women's geisha potential.

Watch it again. Over and over, the women talk about their conservative values, only to have the interviewer ask them if they've met any cute conservative boys. Okay, I'll admit that part of the appeal of going to any place where people share your opinions and values is meeting those same people. I'd be lying if I said I didn't keep an eye out at political events I've attended myself. But that's a fringe benefit. It's not the reason I'm there. And I think it's a little insulting to suggest that the women at CPAC are only there to hook up. Or, as the last women quoted here says, "We're not here for boys, we're here for politics."

I don't want to jump to the conclusion that conservatives like Carlson still have issues when it comes to taking women seriously... but he's making it very hard for me.

No comments: