Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Everywhere the signs

More about stolen campaign yard signs...the newspaper in Southern Pines reports that Obama-Biden signs are more likely to be stolen, while one area of Wisconsin has seen more targeting of McCain-Palin signs. Either way, it's sad, and in my opinion is the logical result of this bullying, hyper-partisan campaigning style that we've seen for years now.

Yesterday one of my Facebook friends mentioned on a thread that "they" come through one particular neighborhood here in Winston-Salem about once a week and clear out all the Obama signs. The signs are promptly replaced. That got me thinking...Obama headquarters here sells those yard signs for $5 each. I don't know how many they've distributed total, but I know they did sell out of almost 5,000 in a little over a week earlier in October.

At $5 each, that's $25,000 raised just from signs - not counting bumper sticker or button sales, or other donations - from one field office. And that's just in one week. Imagine how many yard signs they've sold over the course of the whole campaign. So, the next time you read about Obama raising $150 million in one month, thank your friendly local Obama hater for all his or her hard work.

(Stealing signs is also counterproductive in that the quickest way to motivate a liberal is to piss him/her off. And then there's that whole First Amendment thing.)

2 comments:

salemstudent said...

When I got back to Boone on Monday my Obama/Biden yard sign was gone. I didn't even stop, I turned around in the driveway and drove straight to the campaign headquarters to get a new one. They were out, which sucks for me, but when I was in there the week before they had hundreds at $5 a pop so you are right that all the thieves are doing is putting more money in Obama's campaign coffers and hardening the resolve of his supporters.

Jimmy said...

at least they aren't burning them in the yard like some people in Virginia are with McCain signs.