Wednesday, October 29, 2008

"Godless"

I was just defending Senator Elizabeth Dole the other day, comparing her favorably to her predecessor Jesse Helms. I said that I could never imagine Dole using the kind of sleazy campaign tactics for which Helms was famous.

I guess I was wrong.

In her latest ad, Dole tries to tie her opponent, state senator Kay Hagan, to a group that advocates for the rights of athiests and agnostics. The ad goes as far as having a Hagan sound-alike saying "There is no God" at the end. I saw it fot the first time last night, and I thought I was losing my mind. I couldn't believe that anyone would stoop quite that low - first of all, vastly overinflating the role of this group in the fundraiser in question (Obama-Ayers style), but, even MORE disturbingly, suggesting somehow that people who don't believe in God are unAmerican. Look, I think they're wrong and are seriously missing out, but they have civil rights, too. (There's that pesky First Amendment again!)

Dole should be ashamed of herself. And she shouldn't ever get to call herself a Christian again, at least not with a straight face.

1 comment:

salemstudent said...

I called Dole's office today, identified myself as a registered NC voter and an Elder in the Presbyterian Church, as is Kay Hagen. After identifying myself, I told the man who answered the phone that I was upset by the ad, that I felt it reflected badly on NC and that it offended me as a Christian and as a Presbyterian Elder. He proceeded to rudely and loudly lecture me on some ad the Democrats ran that he felt distorted Liddy's position on Social Security. As if there were some comparison and as if that were the proper way for a Senate office to talk to a constituent.