Thursday, October 30, 2008

New Roy Carter ad

Check out Roy Carter's latest ad, which highlight's Rep. Virginia Foxx's dismal track record on supporting military families and veterans:



When I'm talking about why I vote for this candidate and not that one, I try not to get personal. But when it comes to Rep. Foxx I just can't help it. I don't know what she's been up to in Washington all this time, but apparently representing the people of the 5th District isn't on her to-do list. She'd rather suck up to President Bush than respond to requests from her constituents - which is, you know, her job.

On a related note, back in September my family and I went to see Kay Hagan speak at the local VFW hall with former Senator and Vietnam vet Max Cleland, who's a personal hero of my step-father's. As long as I live, I will never forget hearing veteran after veteran - some of them in their 80s - tell horror stories about writing Senator Elizabeth Dole's office for help navigating the VA, and not getting so much as a form letter in reply. As the daughter of a combat veteran, this seriously pisses me off. And yet it's Dole, Foxx and others who want you to believe that they're the ones who have our military's best interests at heart.

When we send someone to Congress, it's that person's job to be our voice in Washington. Not just on legislation, but on what they call "constituent services" - everything from service academy appointments to tours of the Capitol. Foxx hasn't done her job. Neither has Dole. We can do better.

No comments: