Thursday, August 20, 2009

Aaaaand, the title says it all

I feel like I’m jumping on Sandra Bullock lately. I don’t want to – I like her a lot, and I’m glad to see a woman over the age of 40 get roles other than “mom” in a Hollywood movie. But, Sandy, WTF? First there was the trailer for the literally whitewashed “The Blind Side,” and now a particularly nasty-looking rom-com called “All About Steve.”

And, apparently it is. Judging by the film’s trailer*, Bullock is a lovelorn cross-word puzzle instructor (really?) who falls for Steve after a single blind date. She trails him across the country as he follows news stories (he’s a TV journalist or something). According to the plot summary on my trusty friend Wikipedia, Sandy’s unself-conscious zaniness teaches the men in her life valuable lessons and helps her “find her own place in the world.” Presumably with a dude.

Yes, I’m being snarky. I’m really, REALLY tired of Hollywood only making woman-centered films when they revolve around the female character’s Search for Love ™. Newsflash: Women have many, many other things going on in our lives, and we’re willing to pay money to see those stories depicted on film. I’m sick and tired of seeing skinny white women oriented to nothing but available men.

I swear on my FinalDraft screenwriting software that I will never, ever contribute to this exhausted BS.

*Standard disclaimer: the trailer is NOT the movie, but merely a marketing tool. In a way, that’s more disturbing. “All About Steve” could possibly be a wonderful story of female empowerment, but the Hollywood marketing folks still think that the only way to get butts in the seats is to show us… this.


No comments: