Thursday, August 13, 2009

BREAKING: Vick signs with Eagles

ESPN and SI are both reporting that Michael Vick has signed a two-year deal with the Philadelphia Eagles. That opening day game vs. my Panthers just got a lot more interesting. (Of course, Vick will still be serving a six-week suspension, but it'll still giving me booing inspiration.)

On the radio today, they were speculating about Vick signing with the Panthers (shudder), which Coach Fox didn't do a whole heck of a lot to dispel. I didn't really see it. A: sign Vick? With what cap room? B: at what position in an offense built around power runs and bombs to Steve Smith? C: sign with the same team that cut loose Rae Carruth? Right. D: sign the former QB of a division blood rival? Not seeing it.

My problem with Vick isn't Puppygate. He served his time for that one. And anyone who knows me will tell you that I hated Vick with a passion long before that because he represents everything about football - sports in general - that I despise. He's a shitty player and teammate who'd rather rely on his flashy physical skills than lower himself to spending time in the film room. He got a lot of praise for impressive, but unsustainable, results that evaporated once opponents learned his tricks. And he's not exactly demonstrated a great deal of character thus far in his career.

Ironically, I used to compare Vick to Donovan McNabb, another "scrambling" QB who nevertheless manages to complete more than half his passes. Inevitably, the memory-impaired PBP crew of the Cardinals-Steelers game on ESPN (where I first heard this a short time ago) are already praising Philly for the acquisition. I don't know how the Iggles plan on using Vick, but I can guarantee that they'll regret him.

No comments: