Tuesday, August 4, 2009

My (hopefully) last word on birth certificates

I'm sitting here comparing my printed copy of my own "Certificate of Live Birth" with the scanned copy of Barack Obama's, posted on his Web site last year. (This is the certificate that the birthers say is invalid, doesn't prove anything, etc.)

Title: Me - "Certificate of Live Birth;" Obama - "Certification of Live Birth"
Child's name and sex: Me - present; Obama - present
Birthdate and filing date: Me - present; Obama - present
Birthplace: Me - Forsyth County; Obama - Oahu (island), Honolulu (city), Honolulu (county)
Mother's info: Me - name, age and state of birth (DoB left blank); Obama - name and race
Father's info: Me - ditto; Obama - ditto
Filing info: Me - "This certifies that the foregoing is a true and accurate copy of a record which appears in the Office of the Register of Deeds on: Roll 0032 Page 1370;" Obama - "This copy serves as prima facie evidence of the fact of birth in any court proceeding" and a redacted certificate number.

Mine also includes the date that this particular copy was granted to me, which doesn't appear on Obama's. Other than that, they're pretty similar to one another. Obama's certificate actually has a little more detail than mine, including not just the county, but the city of birth. Note that mine doesn't say anything about a hospital or attending physician.

And again - this is all I have to legally document my age and place of birth. If I need to do so for a job or passport application, this certificate is it. No "long form" blah blah blah. Just this. And I find it hard to believe that many other Americans have something different.

No comments: